Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Citadel at Dusk

New small acrylic painting:


The Citadel at Dusk, 2009, acrylic on board, 12" x 9". Click image for larger.

I was experimenting with a return to a type of "surrealist" painting, as made popular by DalĂ­, Tanguy, Magritte, et al, where the background seems to be brushed in first as a kind of gradated field, and then the foreground elements (or, in this case, background, I guess) are added afterwards. It tends to give things a smooth, photographic look if used in a certain way. I'm trying to use this method in a slightly more painterly way, I hope, to roughen things up a bit, and the end result reminds me of Richter, to a certain extent. Anyhow, I thought this was worth posting here. I have a little production line thing happening right now with this experiment, so I'll probably post a few more if they turn out OK...

No comments: