Friday, August 11, 2006

AYTON -- The Book

Here's a sneak peek at the cover of my latest (and, hopefully, last for a while) publication. I really have to get back into my studio & make some new art, if only because I have a solo show coming up in the fall (Barrett Art Center, Poughkeepsie).

AYTON Book

That's the full, wraparound cover. There's only my surname in big letters (I spent about 20 minutes tweaking the kerning on that alone) and a couple of images. The one on the front is a detail of "Duino Elegy 3", by the way. The Duino Elegies are, of course, Rainer Maria Rilke's epic cycle of 10 poems. I'm only happy with about half of my paintings (done in '99), so the rest are on my to-do list. Actually, that's quite a list.

The publication is an art book/extended portfolio/artifact -- there's almost no commentary except for the titles & stats on the pieces presented. I like to let the art speak for itself as much as possible. That might be a mistake, as people often misinterpret images according to their own conceptions & preconceptions, but then the misinterpretations themselves can be interesting. Additionally, I often don't have a clear "meaning/s" for my artworks -- they tend to be allusory rather than concrete. That may not make complete sense, but few things do...(gazes off into distance for a while)

As it currently stands, it's 104 pages & covers most of my artistic output over the last 15 years or so. It's arranged into 11 sections: apocalypse series, black paintings, duino elegies, figurative works, heads, holocaust, mythologies, primitive series, scapes (landscapes & others), UDHR (Universal Declaration of Human Rights), & war. That seems to cover most of it. Of course, a few items overlap categories, but that's just like life, & what can you do?

It'll be released via Lulu.com, as with the other portfolios. It's not the cheapest way to go (per unit), but at this point makes more sense than printing up thousands & then having most of them sit there for a long time.

No comments: