Sunday, July 30, 2006

Small Drawings -- Minotaur

Minotaur, 2002
Here's another one, in this mini-preview of the portfolio, Small Drawings. This one is also from 2002, pen & ink, 8" x 5" approx.

Whenever I think of the Minotaur, I think of Picasso, so I make my Minotaurs more vulnerable & melancholy. Picasso's were more of a symbol of virility, destruction & brutality, I think.

The finished portfolio should have a page count of 36. Most of the images haven't been seen in print or on the web before. By my count, around 11 have been available one way or another previously, so 25 are "brand new". The dates when the pieces were created range from 1991 to 2005, with clusters around 1992 & 2001-2005, as those are the periods when I was slightly more likely to sit down with a small piece of paper & a pen or brush.

No comments: