Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ruined City with Sphinx


Ruined City with Sphinx, 2009, acrylic on board, 16" x 12".

I've always liked paintings of ruins, & this came out of a dream I had recently where I had a massive studio in an unnamed city (might have been Brooklyn, but it was a dream anyways), and in among the industrial buildings were stone colossi...not sure where that was coming from (paging Dr. Freud...)

So, this is a continuation of my "surrealist" (heavy quotes) painting method where I fill in the background/sky area first with blended colors. This is partly supposed to make things easier & quicker (Marcel Duchamp didn't like to paint in backgrounds either), but I found myself pretty much repainting everything. I guess I'm a control freak or something...I like the way the sky looks like waves, btw, a nice inversion...

No comments: