Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My first silverpoint drawing

This is my first time using silverpoint:


Man's Head and Mountains, 2009, silverpoint on prepared card, 11" x 8.5". The image is quite faint, the silver traces do not pick up well unaided on the scanner. This image also makes it clear that I need to clean the glass on my scanner (there are 3 dark dots that are not on the original drawing)...

The piece has to be allowed to oxidize or "bloom" -- apparently putting it in the sun will accelerate the process. The drawing is made by scraping a thin piece of silver wire held in a stylus across paper prepared with a coat of gesso. When the silver oxidizes, it allegedly darkens & takes on a brownish hue -- I will allow this to happen & then post the results here. In the meantime, so you can actually see the piece, I've boosted the contrast digitally:



This drawing will shortly be added to the new "Silverpoint A Day" blog project I'm doing with James L. Stevenson. Probably when it oxidizes.

No comments: