Saturday, June 13, 2009

On the Island of the Dead

I blame Pascal Lecocq for this:


On the Island of the Dead, 2009, brush & ink on paper, 14" x 17". Click image for a better view.

I've spent the last several days looking over his web site dedicated to Arnold Böcklin's painting, the Isle of the Dead, inlcuding many other versions of the piece, by Pascal and other artists. Now I find the image is stuck in my head, so I thought the best way to get it out would be to make a version of the image (see below a couple of posts for the original painting), which explains the drawing above. I don't usually do exact or even close copies of other artists' work, but I've made an exception in this case (I have altered the composition a little bit.)

I may even do a small color painting...

No comments: